DISCOVER LIFE



With a movie representation of being the best four years of your life, high school definitely has big shoes to fill in everyone's life. From being told that you could have the best of both worlds, you can sing your heart off during passing periods with your entire school. Everyone one day realizes this isn't a reality.

In fact, the typical day in the life probably composes of counting how many minutes are left until the bell rings for the next class, how many hours left in the day, how many weeks left until the end of the school year, how many days we have left until we graduate. Staring at the slowly ticking clock on the wall. Waiting until the very last minute to turn in our project because we didn't start it until the day before it was due. Trying to act and dress a certain way to fit in with a crowd. Discovering our identity and value as an individual. And so the list goes on.

Everyone can relate to at least one of these feelings, moments, and mindsets. I know I definitely had my share. I remember walking into my freshman year feeling so lost and alone. I was surrounded by people but somehow felt as if I were the only person in the room. I would try to find a place in different groups of people, but would never find one I felt was natural. I would look at myself and think that there was something wrong with me. I would try hard to fit in and be like all the other girls. I would seek approval and value from my coaches, teachers, and students. It was so draining and it sucked the life out of me. I allowed Satan to speak lies and deceit into my mind, that I wasn't good enough or I wasn't worthy. I would try to smile and be positive, but inside I felt so unhappy. I hated every single day.

Walking into my sophomore year, I made a lot of changes. I quit playing tennis, started a lot of new organizations, and meet a lot of new people. With a lot of new changes came a lot of different surroundings. It wasn't easy at first because it felt as if I was starting over again. I was tired, exhausted, and just trying to make it through the day. One day, I remember thinking "I am tired of being tired. I am tired of being dead. I am ready to be alive." I sought strength and energy in the Lord and suddenly everything changed. I stopped viewing it as something I just wanted to be over to something I just tried to make the most of. I started getting to know people I wouldn't usually talk to and discovered that there is so much more behind every face I crossed paths within the halls. Behind every person was a story. I learned to look beyond what I could see, and discover what I couldn't. I tried to seek out the Lord in everything I did. I definitely had my mistakes along the way, but I just try to learn from them. I stopped trying to be someone I wasn't and tried to start embracing who I was.  It's funny because all a sudden my days passed by faster than they ever had before and I started loving every moment of each day.

It's not easy when you feel alone, especially when you see so many groups of people who seem to "fit" it. You may think there is something wrong with you, but there isn't. You might think your weird, your not. You might think you aren't pretty enough, but you are so much more beautiful than you will ever know. You might feel you have no purpose, but you do. You might think no one cares about you, but smart people will. Know that you are not alone. I know you have probably heard it before and not felt that it was true, but it truly is. There is a God who is always by your side holding your hand as you face each day. I know it's not always fun and popular to live for Christ, but it sure does change a lot. You won't always be the most popular and life won't always be smooth sailing, but you are freed from the pressure to be someone you not or find your value in other people. You might think high school isn't important, it all just depends on your perspective. Discover life in a way you never have before.


Love always,

Elizabeth

Comments

Popular Posts